The sunshine award gives others an opportunity to learn more about me as a blogger and then, in turn, I will send sunshine the way of 11 other amazing bloggers for you to get to know!
Ok, so I didn't really get nominated for a Sunshine Award. Mostly because until this moment, I didn't have a blog. One of the bloggers I follow religiously, Katherine Sokolowski, challenged her readers to jump in and try this. Since this is my first post EVER, I thought it might be a good way to start! Especially since I have to figure out EVERYTHING else in the blogging world!! So, here goes!
Eleven Random Facts About Me:
1. I've lived in the Chicago suburbs all of my life. I hate winter. I hate snow. So why do I still live here?
2. I've been a reader all my life, but when I was in high school, I thought I was going to go into the business world. Silly me. My mom, who obviously knew me way better then I know myself, convinced me to become a teacher. Smart.
3. I like to think of myself as a good swimmer, but I swam with my daughter's swim team's master program this winter break and my butt was officially kicked. But instead of being humiliated, it made me more determined. I will be back....
4. Speaking of swimming, my goal is to try my first triathlon this summer. Haven't signed up yet, but it's looming...
5. I'm going to cry when I cannot get my Pumpkin Spice Latte at my Starbucks because they are out of pumpkin syrup until next September.
6. I am not on Facebook and won't until my daughter is on it.
7. I just joined Twitter because I found there are other educators out there who read as much, if not more as me, and think about education like I do. Sigh * included *!!!
8. Some education conference goals, this year I am going to try really hard to attend my first NErDcampMI and NCTE14!
9. When I've been running for a really long time, I can no longer do any form of math in my head.
10. I cannot stand emoticons when texting.
11. Since becoming a DVC member, the majority of my vacations will now be Disney related. And I think that's AWESOME!!!
So now answers to some of Katherine's questions:
1. What is one dream you have that you want to accomplish this year?
Well, I've been thinking of having a blog for awhile, so that one is kind of getting checked off. I need to get it to where I want it, but I have a feeling that's a project that will always be looming. So, my goal, as a reading specialist, is to be in the classrooms and try to get Independent Reading in more classrooms and have at least one teacher tell me that I made a difference in her literacy block! My big goal would be for all of them to say that, but I'll start with one :)
2. Favorite food?
I kind of answered that above with the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte thing. Although I guess that's a drink. But it's my nourishment to start the day... Otherwise, I'm going Lou Malnati's pepperoni pizza. Deep dish or thin crust, I'm good either way!
3. What is the best book you read last?
While I love so many, I think my all-time favorite has to be Wonder by RJ Palacio. I have so many connections with it - well between Auggie and my daughter. It was an unexpected, makes-your-heart-happy book, that I keep going back to it again and again.
4. What is your favorite way to exercise?
In the pool. Hands down. Which is really funny since all of my medals are from half marathons, marathons and other races. And I really stink at running.
5. Favorite season?
6. Snow days - love them or hate them?
As I'm enduring one now and my computer is flashing -16 degrees... Hate them. Reference the above answer! I was supposed to get out for summer on May 31 this year. *Shaking fist in the air* Darn you Chicago winter!!!!!
7. What are you looking forward to in 2014?
Lots of answers:
- getting this blog up and running. NEED HELP!! How do I import those blogging stickers like IMWAYR? and Nonfiction Wednesdays and Celebration. HELP PLEASE!!
- reading more kid lit and getting books to kids
- only reading the adult books I really want to read, I guess getting more selective
- attending NCTE this year!
- trying my first triathlon!!!
Thanks for reading this far. Hoping to have more posts soon. With those little blogging stickers, please help! :)