Tuesday, April 29, 2014

SoL I Knew I Was a Book Nerd When... 4.29.14


Slice of Life is a weekly event hosted by Two Writing Teachers.

All of us Nerdies know we're Book Nerds.  We're proud of it, and we'll tell everyone!  You'll hear us frequently ask each other "what are you reading?" and "oh, I have to put that on my TBR pile" and "what did you think about that part?"

But there are a few moments in my reading life that when I look back on them, prove I am a Book Nerd...

- When I was a kid, I didn't only read books, I played with them.  Sometimes it was when I played "school".  Sometimes I played "library".  Sometimes my sister and I played this boarding school game that had something to do with a book called "Ghost Host".  It was a library book and not one I still have but I remember it played prominently in this game.

- Books always went on vacation with me.  I remember bringing them to Texas and New Mexico in 3rd grade.  I remember bringing them to Arizona in 8th grade.  I've always had to make room in my suitcase for books.  And unlike the clothes I pack, I usually read all the books!

- I don't only own books, I horde books.  I may have a bigger TBR pile than books read pile.  I can't help it.  I have no self-control when it comes to being in a bookstore.

- I had to be on bed rest when I was pregnant with my daughter.  2 1/2 months long bed rest.  I barely watched TV.  But I read over 60 books.  Back then I hadn't rediscovered my love for children's literature.  I was reading some young adult books, but most of those books were full-length adult books.  I also didn't miss a single White Sox game during that time.  World Champions that year.  Just sayin'.  

- But I think the biggest way I have always known I was a Book Nerd was when I could finally admit to the fact that I'm a book sniffer.  Yup.  Totally addicted to certain smelling books.  I love the smell when you walk into a bookstore.  I love the smell of some old library books.  But the best smell comes from certain books.  It's usually a paperback.  I sniff pretty much every book I read.  At least once.  It's a habit.  I'll admit to it.  Hi.  My name is Michele.  I'm a book sniffer.

So, what was your moment?  The one where you knew you were a Book Nerd?

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to say, I am all of those things, and cannot understand at all why everyone else isn't that way, too, especially teacher colleagues! Love hearing about the sniffing. I do some, Michele, but mostly love that musty smell of old books-takes me back to my grandparents! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I wonder how many kids in this generation will get to experience that? Kindles and such have taken away the old fashioned book. I have a Kindle, but do not use it on the beach. There is something magnificent about HOLDING a book and reading it on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books were my go to entertainment as a kid. Of course that was long before video games. Book orders were my favorite part of school. How I poured over that form to carefully choose just the right book. I still have some, they were twenty-five cents and I had to beg for them. However, I can't say I've ever been a book sniffer, more of a fondler. I love the feel of the paper. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can so relate so much of what you have written! I can't say that I remember when I knew I was a book nerd. So many memories of reading from childhood...up to now! I don't remember a time when I have't read and I can't imagine my life without it! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have written this! I have way too many books - and I keep buying more! I'm even winning them through Goodreads. But I am reading through the TBR piles and hopefully in another 50 years I'll be through them!

    ReplyDelete