Slice of Life is a weekly event hosted by Two Writing Teachers.
All of us Nerdies know we're Book Nerds. We're proud of it, and we'll tell everyone! You'll hear us frequently ask each other "what are you reading?" and "oh, I have to put that on my TBR pile" and "what did you think about that part?"
But there are a few moments in my reading life that when I look back on them, prove I am a Book Nerd...
- When I was a kid, I didn't only read books, I played with them. Sometimes it was when I played "school". Sometimes I played "library". Sometimes my sister and I played this boarding school game that had something to do with a book called "Ghost Host". It was a library book and not one I still have but I remember it played prominently in this game.
- Books always went on vacation with me. I remember bringing them to Texas and New Mexico in 3rd grade. I remember bringing them to Arizona in 8th grade. I've always had to make room in my suitcase for books. And unlike the clothes I pack, I usually read all the books!
- I don't only own books, I horde books. I may have a bigger TBR pile than books read pile. I can't help it. I have no self-control when it comes to being in a bookstore.
- I had to be on bed rest when I was pregnant with my daughter. 2 1/2 months long bed rest. I barely watched TV. But I read over 60 books. Back then I hadn't rediscovered my love for children's literature. I was reading some young adult books, but most of those books were full-length adult books. I also didn't miss a single White Sox game during that time. World Champions that year. Just sayin'.
- But I think the biggest way I have always known I was a Book Nerd was when I could finally admit to the fact that I'm a book sniffer. Yup. Totally addicted to certain smelling books. I love the smell when you walk into a bookstore. I love the smell of some old library books. But the best smell comes from certain books. It's usually a paperback. I sniff pretty much every book I read. At least once. It's a habit. I'll admit to it. Hi. My name is Michele. I'm a book sniffer.
So, what was your moment? The one where you knew you were a Book Nerd?