Monday, December 29, 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 12.29.14

This weekly post comes from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.  It's a great source to find new books to use with your students.

The holidays kept me busy, but it has been so wonderful getting a chance to read.  I look forward to reading even more next week.  I have a couple of #mustreadin2014 books I am trying to finish up before midnight Thursday!
Here's what I got to this week:

Picture Books

All the World
All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon
5/5 stars
I can't believe I missed this book for so long.  The message is sweet, but it's the illustrations that just kept my eyes on the pages.  Marla Frazee is amazing.  I guess that's why it was a Caldecott Honor book.

The Bat Boy and His Violin
The Boy and His Violin by Gavin Curtis
4/5 stars
I picked this one up because it was mentioned in Jennifer Serravallo's Small Groups book. It is a great book for so many comprehension strategies. 

A Letter for Leo
A Letter for Leo by Sergio Ruzzier
4/5 stars
Sweet friendship story.  I liked it, but saw some other stronger stories this year. 

Poetry

Santa Clauses: Short Poems from the North Pole
Santa Clauses:  Poems from the North Pole by Bob Raczka
5/5 stars
My daughter and I counted down to Christmas by reading a haiku each night.  If you haven't seen this amazing book, be sure to check it out before next December!  It's a beautiful addition to your holiday collection.

Middle Grade

The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)
The Runaway King by Jennifer Nielson
5/5 stars
How I loved going back to Sage's world!  Once I got drawn into the story, it was hard to put down.

Young Adult

My True Love Gave to Me: Twelve Holiday Stories
My True Love Gave to Me edited by Stephanie Perkins
4/5 stars
I adored this collection of young adult holiday stories.  Short stories always amaze me - how quick and tight the story must be.  Great writing.

Currently Reading
I have two books on my #mustreadin2014 list that I'm determined to get to:

Better Nate Than Ever
Better Nate Than Ever

The Thing About Georgie
The Thing About Georgie


Happy Reading, everyone.  Can't wait to see what 2015 brings!

11 comments:

  1. My True Love Gave To Me is with a student right now. Maybe I'll get to read it in 2015! I still have the final Nielsen book to read-too many on the list... Have a wonderful week before back to work, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to read Better Nate Than Never too. My stack to TBR keeps growing...and growing...and growing. Enjoy this week and happy new year!

    Jennifer
    Sweet Writing
    Life


    Mrs. Laffin's
    Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those last two books are on my TBR pile, too - can't wait to get to them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adored Better Nate Than Ever. Hope you're loving it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to finish the year with 2 #mustreadin2014 titles unread. One of them I did read 50 pages of but really didn't like. The other I never got to. Of course there's still time, but it's a long book and I decided that my goal of 200 books was more important to me. So I am all about finishing things I've already started and SHORT books this week! I really loved Santa Clauses. The illustrations are what I loved so much about Letter for Leo. Those colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Michele, didn't you just live The Runaway King! I lived that trilogy so much! Georgie is also a fave. Santa Clauses looks intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully I get to Nate this break! Then we can chat :)
    You are making me want True Love even more! I may have to buy the ebook :)

    Happy new year, and happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My True Love Gave to Me has been on my list for awhile. Maybe next holiday season. Sigh. Thanks for that nice tweet this week. HAPPY NEW YEAR! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read Nielsen's trilogy earlier this year when we had a Blue Bloods/Royalty reading theme. I loved knowing about Sage and his journeys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck on your must reads! I got to quite a few of mine this year, but will be moving some to my must read list for 2015. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nate is one of those characters who stole into my heart in the past couple of years. I keep hoping and waiting for another adventure. I have The Shadow King on my list of books to read. Good luck on your list - I just gave up on mine. I'll have to go through and decide which ones to keep for next year, and which ones to let go of.

    ReplyDelete