It's always good to end the week on a positive note. Sometimes we concentrate on the negatives. We have a choice. Choose positive. Choose to celebrate. I will be joining Ruth Ayres and her weekly link-up, Celebrate This Week. Check out all the other celebrations HERE
This week I am celebrating my reader's notebook. This is the third notebook I've kept, although I had a my first reader's notebook back when I was a kid. I remember one year, not sure how old I was, I wanted to see how many things I read. I wrote down everything. Books, magazines, everything went in. I wrote everything down on lined paper and put it in a report cover. I thought it was so official! I was preparing myself for Nerdy Book Club status back then!
My notebook has evolved since then, really it evolves every year. Every January I think I have it set for the year, but then I add more! Here is the 2016 model!
I love this notebook! I found it at Target in August and knew this would be my 2016 notebook!
As you can see I have labels all over it. The top labels are to categorize the books I read for the year. When someone asks me about titles, I can quickly get to the right type of book. As I finish a book, I add it to the right section, writing the date finished, title and author. I do not write any synopsis about the book, leaving that to my Goodreads page.
The labels include:
- picture books
- nonfiction picture books
- middle grade
- young adult
- adult reads (ha, I'm lucky if I get 6 titles on this page)
- easy chapter books
- transitional chapter books
- graphic novels
- professional literature
I also have labels on the side.
Here's where I keep:
- Book Awards - I'll be adding to this page on Monday, January 11th! I refer back to this page throughout the year. While I can list the Schneider, Newbery and Caldecott winners to you, this helps me remember other award winners I may need to go back and read throughout the year.
- Bookaday - I try to keep up with Spring Break, summer and holiday #bookaday. I try to tweet my books everyday, but often need to refer to this list to see if I remembered to mention each one.
- #10for10 - I really enjoy participating in February's nonfiction picture book #10for10 and August's fiction picture books #10for10. I have to start with big and/or multiple lists and then wean it down into my list of 10 books.
- Book things - here's where I keep track of some of my upcoming blog posts. I leave several pages blank so I can add things throughout the year.
- Book releases - I have 2 pages for each month of upcoming book releases. As I learn about new books coming out, I add them to the month's list. I star books I will purchase and put an 'L' by the books I want to get at the library. I try to get a lot of my books at the library. I remind myself I don't need to own every single book that is published (against my what I wish). It's also helpful previewing books - I've preordered way too many books, mostly picture books, that I wish I had previewed before purchasing. The library is very helpful for that!
Here's a vine that shows you a few more pages of my notebook.
Do you have a reader's notebook? What do you keep in it?