Friday, February 24, 2017

Spotlight Friday: books that make you LOL 2.24.17


Time to get ready for the weekend!
Kick up your feet and find a good place to read.
Sharing #booklove for your classroom or library.
Spotlighting a book or two because these books deserve the spotlight!

You know that moment when you finish reading a book and you know you are holding something that is really really special?  Maybe it's the perfect book for the perfect occasion. Maybe you know the reader who needs that book right then and there.  Maybe it's a book that is going to pull at someone's heart strings.  And maybe it's a book that's going to make someone laugh so hard they either cry or pee in their pants.  With Ame Dyckman, you really never know what's going to happen.  


You Don't Want a Unicorn!
You Don't Want a Unicorn
written by Ame Dyckman
illustrated by Liz Climo
published by Little, Brown

I first read Unicorn while at NCTE.  I don't really like reading picture books in public places (like at conferences or bookstores) because I have trouble falling into the story.  But when you're at conferences like NCTE or ALA and you have all the books in front of you, you have to take the opportunity to try and read so you know what's coming.  When I read Unicorn, it was different.  I started laughing right away (no I didn't pee in my pants, but the book does have some pooping in it....) and instantly knew this was a book that is meant to be read out loud.  As soon as I had the opportunity, that's what I did.  Next time I found myself in the Little, Brown booth, I had my wonderful friend Lesley Burnap with me.  And what did I do?  I read her Unicorn.  And we both laughed out loud.  And then lamented that we would have to wait until February to share this book with readers.  But here we are.  February.  And what am I going to do?  Share this with reader after reader after reader and then never see it again because it will always be checked out.  Really.  It's a good thing.

Do I have you wanting to read this book and read it out loud and share it with many readers?  Just in case you're wavering, watch the trailer.  I bet you'll laugh.  I did.




Don't you love books that make you laugh out loud?  Here are a few more of my favorites.  Share all of them with readers!  Just be prepared to never see them again:

Wolfie the Bunny
Wolfie the Bunny
by Ame Dyckman (oh, that Ame.  She gets me every time)

Carnivores
Carnivores
by Aaron Reynolds

Naked!
Naked!
by Michael Ian Black

Arnie the Doughnut
Arnie the Doughnut
by Laurie Keller

Chopsticks
Chopsticks
by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Big Mean Mike
Big Mean Mike
by Michelle Knudsen


What are some of your favorite LOL books?
Happy reading while laughing out loud!

No comments:

Post a Comment