Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday - what's in my stacks? 12.13.17


Every Wednesday I join Alyson Beecher from kidlitfrenzy and other
kidlit bloggers to share wonderful nonfiction picture books.
The intention of today's blog post is to give professionals that work in the
education field new nonfiction reading material and ideas to use 
with students to promote a love of reading nonfiction materials.

Here are some nonfiction picture books that have been laying around in my stacks!

Before She Was Harriet
Before She Was Harriet
written by Lesa Cline-Ransome
illustrated by James E. Ransome
I love the structure of this book - it starts when Harriet was in her older years and worked it's way backwards talking about the many roles and names she had in her lifetime.
I wish there had been more backmatter and sources.  

Earth! My First 4.54 Billion Years
Earth! My First 4.54 Billion Years
written by Stacy McAnulty
illustrated by David Litchfield
I found the next nonfiction book that I'm adding to my collection!  Such a fun voice for a nonfiction book.  I love that Earth is telling us about.... Earth!  And Pluto gets referred to as the family pet!  I think readers will really like the voice of the book telling them facts about the Earth since it's been around!  And love the David Litchfield illustrations.

How the Cookie Crumbled: The True (and Not-So-True) Stories of the Invention of the Chocolate Chip Cookie
How the Cookie Crumbled
by Gilbert Ford
Anyone who has had a chocolate chip cookie is going to enjoy this story.  It's interesting to know the history - even as Gilbert Ford tells us, there are a few versions of what really happened.  I think this will be a well enjoyed biography to add to your collection.

On the Same Day in March: A Tour of the World's Weather
On the Same Day in March
written by Marilyn Singer
illustrated by Frané Lessac
Very cool concept - taking a look at what the weather looks like in different areas of the world on the same day.  Good book to use if you study patterns!

Vincent Can't Sleep: Van Gogh Paints the Night Sky
Vincent Can't Sleep
written by Barb Rosenstock
illustrated by Mary Grandpré
I've been waiting for this book for awhile and it did not disappoint.  I love the writing combination of Rosenstock and the illustrations of Grandpré.  I hope they work together for awhile!
I really don't know much about VanGogh and this book certainly gave me some more information.  It was really interesting to see how he came up with some of his more famous paintings.  I had no idea they were inspired/a result of... his insomnia.

Revolutionary Rogues by Selene Castrovilla
Revolutionary Rogues: John André and Benedict Arnold
written by Selene Castrovilla
illustrated by John O'Brien
This is a really fascinating story about what happened between the now infamous American traitor, Arnold, and the British Major.  I've always known the gist of the story, but I liked getting more information.  

A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars by Seth Fishman
A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars
written by Seth Fishman
illustrated by Isabel Greenberg
Great example how curricula can cross - great math/science book!  I'm glad there are written out numbers to go along with the huge long string of numbers!

Have these books found a way into your stacks?  Be sure to check them out!

3 comments:

  1. I hope I can get A Hundred Billion Trillion Stars soon. It really does sound good, as does How The Cookie Crumbled, a new title to me. I wondered why there was no backmatter for the book about Harriet, too. Thanks, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Vincent and Harriet and appreciated both. The others are new to me. So many books and so little time. Ack! I adore chocolate chip cookies, so I will have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking I'm caught up on my reading but I haven't read any of these!

    ReplyDelete