Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday 8.12.15

#nfpb2015

I am excited to join Alyson Beecher and other friends in this weekly challenge.  Finding great nonfiction picture books isn't a challenge anymore, there are so many wonderful books to be read now!  The challenge is sharing them with as many people as possible so they can find this wealth of literature to share with our young readers.  Thanks to Aly for starting this weekly link-up and thanks to all who join in!  See all of the posts at kidlitfrenzy.

This summer I have read or come across a number of books about civil rights.  With current events being what they are, I am intrigued by the events of the past.  And how they are parallels for what is happening now, decades later.  
Growing up, I do not remember learning about the events of Selma or about Freedom Summer.  I remember learning about the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Vietnam War.  But why were the events that happened in the South glossed over?  I'm not sure what is taught in upper middle school these days.  I'm not sure if these events are now discussed or not.  But change won't happen if we don't know where we've come from.  
I'm glad to find more and more books about the importance of civil rights.  Here are just a few I've come across this summer.  I know there are more.  What are your favorites?  I'd love to add more titles to this collection.

Fiction Picture Books

Seeds of Freedom: The Peaceful Integration of Huntsville, Alabama
Seeds of Freedom: The Peaceful Integration of Huntsville, Alabama
by Hester Bass

Freedom Summer
Freedom Summer
by Deborah Wiles

New Shoes
New Shoes 
by Susan Lynn Meyer

Nonfiction Picture Books

28 Days: Moments in Black History that Changed the World
28 Days: Moments in Black History that Changed the World
by Charles R. Smith

Fiction Chapter Books

Revolution
Revolution 
by Deborah Wiles

Nonfiction Chapter Books

Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom: My Story of the Selma Voting Rights March
Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom: My Story of the 1965 Selma Voting Rights March
by Lynda Blackmon Lowery

Freedom Summer: The 1964 Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi
Freedom Summer: The 1964 Struggle for Civil Rights in Mississippi
by Susan Goldman Rubin

What great titles am I missing?  Add them in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this themed list. I really want to read 28 Days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Shoes is a new title for me. I like to use Freedom Summer with Glory Be by Augusta Scattergood. Thanks for sharing all these great books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realized the same thing and did a very similar post not that long ago! http://www.unleashingreaders.com/?p=7019 There are some really terrific Civil Rights books coming out recently.
    Thank you for sharing more with me, so I can add even more to my list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love Glory Be from Augusta Scattergood

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Michele! That's an awesome list you have! Speaking of picture books about Civil Rights movement, I bought a picture book called "John Lewis in the Lead: A Story of the Civil Rights Movement" written by Jim Haskins and Kathleen Benson and illustrated by by Benny Andrews! Those freedom-themed books you've got look amazing! And Deborah Wiles is love, love, love! Thanks for sharing all these titles, Michele! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because TheY Marched by Russell Freedman http://arepreading.tumblr.com/post/107406308030/btmrf. Plus, my blog post from 2012, Three Books for Martin Luther King Day: http://arepreading.tumblr.com/post/15946066323/mlk (includes a few more than three),

    ReplyDelete