Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Mock Geisel long list

When I started doing Mock units for our school, I knew Newbery and Caldecott Mock units were something I absolutely wanted to include but since we're a K-4 school, I thought about our little guys.  Would they be able to think critically about the illustrations and put aside how much they liked a story?  Not that they can't do it, I've seen many schools be successful with it, but since an award existed for readers like them, why not include it?  And that began our Mock Geisel unit for Kg and 1st grade.

We've done this unit for 2 years now.  Our kindergarteners and 1st graders have posters with the criteria on them.  They talk about the criteria (in kid friendly terms) with the books they read.  They vote and we watch the real announcements.  And every year we get about one book correct!  Geisel is the hardest award to do a Mock unit on!  I can't seem to guess the right books to add to our unit.  For me, it's the dark horse of awards!

But this year we'll have some guidance.  I'm so excited to see the start of a new blog - Guessing Geisel!  Started by former committee members, I'm hoping they'll have an eye better than mine to help us guide better choices.  But as always, even if we don't put the right books on the list, I'm still excited that kids are being exposed to some great literature.


We are halfway through the 2016 year already!  I thought this week I would pause and share my Mock long lists.

Today I am sharing my Mock Geisel long list.  Here are some titles I'm thinking we'll be talking about in January.

You Must Be This Tall
You Must Be This Tall 
by Steven Weinberg

Snail and Worm: Three Stories About Two Friends
Snail and Worm:  Three Stories About Two Friends
by Tina Kugler

The Thank You Book (Elephant & Piggie, #25)
The Thank You Book
by Mo Willems

Ballet Cat Dance! Dance! Underpants!
Ballet Cat:  Dance! Dance! Underpants!
by Bob Shea

Big Cat
Big Cat
by Ethan Long

Duck, Duck, Porcupine!
Duck Duck Porcupine
by Salina Yoon

Playtime?
Playtime?
by Jeff Mack

What This Story Needs Is a Munch and a Crunch
What This Story Needs is a Munch and a Crunch
by Emma Virjan

What This Story Needs Is a Hush and a Shush
What This Story Needs is a Hush and a Shush
by Emma Virjan

When Andy Met Sandy
When Andy Met Sandy 
by Tomie dePaola

Books that come out later this year that may have some "Geisel buzz":

The Cookie Fiasco (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #1)
The Cookie Fiasco
by Dan Santat and Mo Willems
publishes September 20th

We Are Growing! (Elephant & Piggie like reading!, #2)
We Are Growing
by Laurie Keller and Mo Willems
publishes September 20th

The Mixed-Up Truck
The Mixed-Up Truck
by Stephen Savage
publishes July 5th (today!)

Mr. Putter & Tabby Hit the Slope
Mr. Putter and Tabby Hit the Slope
by Cynthia Rylant
publishes Sept. 13th

Groovy Joe: Ice Cream and Dinosaurs
Groovy Joe: Ice Cream and Dinosaurs
by Eric Litwin
publishes August 30th

Are you thinking about doing a Mock Geisel unit this year?  What books are you thinking about including?  What have I missed?  Would love to find schools/classrooms to connect with if you're planning a Mock Geisel!

Visit my other Mock long list posts:
Mock Sibert
Mock Newbery
Mock Caldecott

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for the Guessing Geisel shout out! We're hoping to include some information on doing mock Geisels with kids for our next SLJ column. So it was wonderful to find your blog post!
    Best,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete