Monday, January 22, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 1.22.18

This weekly post comes from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts
 and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.  
It's a great source to find new books to use with your students.


Last Week's Adventures

Do you believe the myth?  Check out this fantastic series from Erin Peabody that introduces the creatures and the stories behind them, what do you believe?

Think history is boring?  You might want to think again or you may have some historical figures pop up in your life!  Check out the new TIME TWISTERS series!


Picture Books

The Very Very Very Long Dog
The Very Very Very Long Dog 
by Julia Patton
This silly story about a, well, very long dog, will have young readers laughing, especially at the many ways to refer to the backside of the dog!

While You Are Sleeping
While You Are Sleeping
by Mariana Ruiz Johnson
A wordless picture book that reminds me just a little bit of Where the Wild Things Are.  I toggled back and forth between layouts because there was so much to see!

Ava and the Rainbow (Who Stayed)
Ava and the Rainbow (Who Stayed)
by Ged Adamson
Would be interesting to talk about how we take things for granted.

My Pillow Keeps Moving
My Pillow Keeps Moving!
written by Laura Gehl
illustrated by Christopher Weyant
I didn't know much about this one, other than I like the author and illustrator.  The two together did not fail!  Such a fun book, made me think this is how Mr. Putter and Tabby met.

Lola Dutch
Lola Dutch
by Kenneth and Sarah Jane Wright
In the vein of the Eloise stories, Lola Dutch is someone who tends to go overboard when she really likes things - wants all the books, all the activities.  
Fun story time read with lots of imaginative ideas!
publishes Jan. 30th

Marigold  Daisy
Marigold and Daisy
by Andrea Zuill
A new sibling story - think King Baby and The Bossier Baby - that will for sure make readers laugh (I did!).  From the author of Wolf Camp, don't miss this book when it publishes on Feb. 6th.

Nonfiction Picture Books

American Gothic: The Life of Grant Wood
American Gothic: the Life of Grant Wood
written by Susan Wood
illustrated by Ross MacDonald
An interesting read, I did not know much about the background of the painting, much less the artist.  
I'm enjoying seeing these picture book biographies about artists - I hope they are being used in art classes everywhere!

Graphic Novels

Hilo Book 4: Waking the Monsters
HiLo 4: Waking the Monsters
by Judd Winick
I think this may be my favorite graphic novel series.  I love the characters and the plot lines. This one is just as fun and suspenseful as the others.  Just need to wait for 2019 for the next installment.....

Middle Grade

House Arrest
House Arrest
by K.A. Holt
I'm so glad Kellee Moye told me about this book because it was fantastic.  This book spoke to so many parts of me - sibling relationships, medical issues and medically necessary actions.  Gorgeous novel in verse and I am so glad I have the ARC of Knockout.  I can't imagine what readers have been waiting for!

Young Adult

X
X
by Ilyasah Shabazz and Kekla Magoon
So glad this was on my #mustread list and I finally got to it.  So well written.  Interesting end notes.  I really didn't know much about Malcolm X before starting this book.  He's not a character you necessarily like, but it was fascinating looking at what might have been, viewed through the eyes of his daughter.

Currently Reading

The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1)
The Serpent's Secret: Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond
by Sayantani DasGupta
I didn't have much time to read this one last week.  Too many distractions and responsibilities!  Looking forward to more time with Kiranmala this week!

Happy Reading!

14 comments:

  1. Hilo was a must-purchase. I was eagerly awaiting its arrival so I could surprise students with it. Such a long wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought X was an excellent depiction of Malcolm X's early life. I'm afraid most of us don't know that much about him. House Arrest is a book I keep meaning to read and maybe this will be the year I finally do. Looks like you have an overall good reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved House Arrest and hope to get to Knockout someday! I've requested some of the picture books you shared, Michele. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to get to the HiLo series.
    I read X awhile ago. It is a powerful narrative, but not really an easy read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh so many titles here that I don't know yet. I just placed American Gothic in my to-read stack on Goodreads. I've been meaning to read X for the longest time now, and it was reviewed and reported by a group of my in-service teacher-students in our higher degree class, they seem to have enjoyed it thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard of the Hilo series until now, but I put it and House Arrest on my list. Thanks for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read House Arrest based on Kellee’s review also! Wasn’t it awesome?! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am looking forward to House Arrest. Can't wait to get that one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for always introducing us to so many new titles. Marigold and Daisy sounds like a fun new series.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read A Very, Very Very Long Dog for #classroombookaday.. They loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! I love, love, love X! I am so glad you liked it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love wordless picture books! And I'm putting X on my list. I read his autobiography but it will be good to see his daughter's perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember thinking that X drew a lot of its details from his autobiography. I prefer Betty Before X, since she is a much more sympathetic character.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hurray for House Arrest. One of my favourites!

    ReplyDelete