Friday, January 26, 2018

Spotlight Friday - STEAM books 1.26.18


Time to get ready for the weekend!
Kick up your feet and find a good place to read.
Sharing #booklove for your classroom or library.
Spotlighting a book or two because these books deserve the spotlight!


I'm always looking out for new books that have components of STEAM in them.  A new(er) and relevant topic, we're just beginning to see a wealth of books to have in our classrooms. Here are some new ones you may want to add!

Picture Books

Magnolia Mudd and the Super Jumptastic Launcher Deluxe by Katey Howes
Magnolia Mudd and the Super Jumptastic Launcher Deluxe
written by Katey Howes
illustrated by Valerio Fabbretti
published by Sterling Children's Books

What happens when invention time with Uncle Jamie is interrupted by his wedding?  Magnolia Mudd not only has that special time interrupted, but she may also have to wear - gasp - a dress with ribbons and bows on it!  What's an inventor to do?  Get the bride on your side by inventing a Super-Jumptastic Flower Launcher, of course!

Izzy Gizmo by Pip Jones
Izzy Gizmo
written by Pip Jones
illustrated by Sara Ogilvie
published by Peachtree
March 1st

Izzy learns a valuable lesson from Grandpa - when it doesn't go the way she had planned - the first time, the second time, and more - you sometimes have to look at things a new way to get it right.

Nonfiction Picture Books

How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
How Did That Get in My Lunchbox? The Story of Food

Where Did My Clothes Come From?
Where Did My Clothes Come From?

How Does My Home Work?
How Does My Home Work?
written by Chris Butterworth
illustrated by Lucia Gaggiotti
published by Candlewick

Each book in this series goes through the process of how something works or where something comes from.  I love the organization of each book - sequential order, either put in numerical order or by using transitional words such as first, next. last.  The format is easy to follow and answers the question posed in the title.  Each book has end pages that include an index and some additional information about the topic.  Bright illustrations are eye catching to young readers.

Chapter Books

Ellie, Engineer
Ellie, Engineer
by Jackson Pearce
published by Bloomsbury

I love this book so much!  I talk about Ellie every week to students :)  Check out my review here.

Middle Grade

Fires of Invention (Mysteries of Cove, #1)
Mysteries of Cove: Fires of Invention
by J. Scott Savage
published by Shadow Mountain

It took me a bit to get into this one, but now I want to know what happens in the series!  Follow Trenton and Kallista as they defy the rules and try to build...


Hope this helps your STEAM collection grow and build (see what I did there... ha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment