Monday, July 10, 2017

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 7.10.17

This weekly post comes from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts
 and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.  
It's a great source to find new books to use with your students.


Last Week's Adventures

Need some new, upcoming nonfiction picture book titles?  Here's what I found at ALA!

Love this  book about friendship, family and civil rights.  A heartprint book for me! Walking With Miss Millie

July roundup of new releases here!

Picture Books

Rapunzel
Rapunzel by Bethan Woollvin
4/5 stars
Woollvin gave us Little Red two years ago and she is back with her next fairy tale.  Illustrated in her three color palette - this time yellow, black and white - this version has familiar parts and some fun new twists.  I enjoyed this next fairy tale by Woollvin even better than her first!
publishes October 1st

Informational Text

Newton's Rainbow: The Revolutionary Discoveries of a Young Scientist
Newton's Rainbow: The Revolutionary Discoveries of a Young Scientist by Kathryn Lasky
5/5 stars
Very comprehensive picture book biography, I can see this being used in middle grade science classrooms.

Middle Grade

Super Max and the Mystery of Thornwood's Revenge
Super Max and the Mystery of Thornwood's Revenge by Susan Vaught
4/5 stars
I'm always on the lookout for mysteries and this one will entice middle grade readers.  I like the character of Max because she is so multifaceted.  Caught has created a character who is paralyzed and relies on her motorized wheelchair.  I loved the complexities that it brought to the character without this being a book about a character in a wheelchair.  Throw in a great grandfather and a loyal best friend, it's a book to put in the hands of readers.
publishes Aug. 29th
review copy from Edelweiss

Tumble & Blue
Tumble and Blue by Cassie Beasley
5/5 stars
This is one of those books that the more I read, the more I loved the book.  Cassie Beasley is a rock star in the genre of magical realism!  I can't wait to read more of her books!
I will have a longer review of the book closer to its publication date on Aug. 29th.

Patina (Track, #2)
Patina by Jason Reynolds
5/5 stars
I am so glad Jason Reynolds is writing for middle grade.  His voice needs to be heard by that audience.
Yes, this book starts up right where Ghost left off, except now we have a new narrator, Patty. If you're like me and read a lot of books, you might be thinking should I reread Ghost before reading this one?  I didn't and I was able to fall into the book without a problem.  I'm sure rereading would help with remembering a bit more about Patty's character, but you figure out what you need to know pretty quickly.
What I love about this series is each character has their own background, their own story, but they have a sport that is binding them together.  I love the positiveness and life lessons they are learning from playing a sport and from their coach.
publishes Aug. 29th

Spirit Hunters
Spirit Hunters by Ellen Oh
5/5 stars
You know the kids who are looking for creepy, scary books?  THIS!  This is what you are going to hand them!  Love the diversity in the characters and the traditions that are woven into this book, without it being about diversity.  I have more to say about this book next Thursday, come by then!
publishes July 25th

Currently Reading

All's Faire in Middle School
All's Faire in Middle Grade by Victoria Jamieson
This book has one of the best intro's before the title page I've ever read! 

On Deck

I have my June #mustreadin2017 book still waiting for me The Seventh Wish by Kate Messner.

My daughter is also a voracious reader.  She reads most of what I read plus her own selections.  There are times I highly recommend a book to her that pushes her out of her comfort zone.  She 99% of the time agrees with me and is glad that she read it.  Now she's asking me to read some books that aren't high on my list, but, I think if we're to build that trust with our readers, we have to acknowledge their recommendations too.  So, in honor of my daughter, I've promised to read the next two Descendants books before the second movie comes out on Disney channel next week.... So I've got Return to the Isle of the Lost and Rise of the Isle of the Lost on deck!

What are you reading this week?

8 comments:

  1. CIrcus Mirandus is on one of my favorite books so I'm really looking forward to Tumble and Blue. I'm glad Jamieson has a new graphic novel out. My students eat those up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to get my hands on Patina - we loved Ghost as a readaloud, and many of my kids wondered if Reynolds would keep the story going. Glad to see that he did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All's Faire in Middle Grade just looks like something this dorky history nerd would've immediately been drawn to as a kid!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always get the BEST titles from you Michele. I am excited for Jamieson's newest and Newton's Rainbow is new to me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tumble and Blue Is already on order at my library! All's Faire in middle school Is one I really really want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super Max sounds really interesting and I am dying to get my hands on Patina since I loved Ghost. I will definitely look for Tumble and Blue and Spirit Hunters when they come out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just reread Circus Mirandus recently and I can't wait to read her latest novel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have already told you that I can't wait to read Patina!! You will love The Seventh Wish. Very popular in my Grade 4/5 class this year.

    ReplyDelete