Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday - ALA edition! 7.05.17


Every Wednesday I join Alyson Beecher from kidlitfrenzy and other
kidlit bloggers to share wonderful nonfiction picture books.
The intention of today's blog post is to give professionals that work in the
education field new nonfiction reading material and ideas to use 
with students to promote a love of reading nonfiction materials.


I was fortunate to be able to attend my second ALA annual conference two weekends ago.  It is such a celebration of book love and it fills my book loving heart!  On Sunday, my goal was to get to as many publishers as possible and take a look at the picture books.  Thinking I would have hours, I figured I would have plenty of time.  It's crazy how fast time goes when you're reading!  I didn't get to nearly as many publishers as I would have liked, but from what I can see, we have some amazing books ahead of us!  

I also was lucky enough to spend time with Alyson Beecher!  I'm so thankful for the small time we had together as we caught up and talked books :)  Did you see her post last week?  Although we did not see each other in the exhibit hall, we were clearly looking at the same books!  Here's what I found and a little bit of info on them:

HMH

I love their upcoming Steve Jenkins titles!

Trickiest!: 19 Sneaky Animals       Deadliest!: 20 Dangerous Animals
Trickiest! 19 Sneaky Animals and Deadliest! 20 Dangerous Animals
publishes October 10th

The size of these books are a little different than most of his books.  They are rectangular in shape, but smaller than typical picture books.  They will fit into smaller hands and also not have that same "picture book" look for those older readers.  Meaning I think they are going to appeal to a lot of readers!  Inside is full of information you expect to find in a Steve Jenkins books.  Each layout has his amazing torn paper collage illustrations, a section of main text, and lots of sidebars to give you additional information.

Who Am I?: An Animal Guessing Game
Who Am I? An Animal Guessing Game
publishes November 14th

Jenkins pairs up with wife, Robin Page, for another great animal book for young readers.  A double layout spread gives clues with illustrations for the young reader to guess the animal. The following layout is a beautiful illustration of the animal.  The book features relatively known animals so the clues lead to animals the readers can guess, without being too common of an animal.

little bee

The Loch Ness Monster (Behind the Legend Book 1)
Behind the Legend: The Loch Ness Monster
by Erin Peabody
illustrated by Victor Rivas
available now!

I can't wait to get this series into my classroom!  Featuring spectacular, legendary creatures, this series looks at the myth and some facts behind them.  Perfect for the upper elementary library!

Lerner

The Great Penguin Rescue: Saving the African Penguins
The Great Penguin Rescue
by Sandra Markle
publishes August 1st

I love this series and I'm really looking forward to reading this one.  Gorgeous photographs, as always!














Zoo Scientists to the Rescue
by Patricia Newman
photographs by Annie Crawley
publishes October 1st

I didn't get to look at this one too long but I am so intrigued!  The subject of zoos can be very controversial, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the information presented in this one.

Sourcebooks

Animals at Night
Animals at Night 
by Anne Jankeliowitch
illustrated by Delphine Chedru
publishes October 3rd

Readers are going to love this one!  Each page focuses on a different habitat area and some of the creatures you can find there.  There's also a glow in the dark part to this book that is just fun!

Simon & Schuster

Pocket Full of Colors: The Magical World of Mary Blair, Disney Artist Extraordinaire
Pocket Full of Colors
by Jacqueline Tourville and Amy Guglielmo
illustrated by Brigette Barrager
publishes August 29th

The first thing that stands out about this picture book biography is the color!  It just pops!  This is a gorgeous picture book biography about my favorite Disney artist, Mary Blair.

This is Not a Normal Animal Book

This is Not a Normal Animal Book
by Julie Segal-Walters
illustrated by Brian Biggs
publishes October 17th

Not quite nonfiction but lots of facts to pull from this one.  Oh I wish I had had more time with this book!  A book that highlights the making of a picture book via an animal book... kids are going to have fun with this one!

Looks like the second half of 2017 will have some great nonfiction reading!

5 comments:

  1. Well, I always love the Jenkins' books, so know I will look for these new ones, Michele. The Legends series looks great, too, as does Pocketful of Colors. How wonderful that you had this time, and met up with Alyson too! There's a lot of books to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve Jenkins & Robin Page are so prolific! Unbelievable--love his & their books.

    Both the rhino & penguin books look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing some NFPB titles that weren't on my radar. I loved the little bee titles--I know that your kids will!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look like some terrific titles. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm practically drooling over these titles! So many great ones. ALA seemed so much fun!

    ReplyDelete