Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday - new picture book biographies... the girls 7.19.17


Every Wednesday I join Alyson Beecher from kidlitfrenzy and other
kidlit bloggers to share wonderful nonfiction picture books.
The intention of today's blog post is to give professionals that work in the
education field new nonfiction reading material and ideas to use 
with students to promote a love of reading nonfiction materials.


Last month I shared some new picture book biographies.  That week was the boys week.  Now it's the girls' turn!


Grace Hopper: Queen of Computer Code
Grace Hopper - Queen of Computer Code
written by Laurie Wallmark
illustrated by Katy Wu
Fascinating book!  I had not heard of Grace Hopper, but this is a woman that should be celebrated!  If you do any kind of women's celebration, be sure to add this book to your collection!  Hopper was a math and science pioneer in the area of writing computer code.  She was someone who thought creatively and outside of the box.  There is a lot of conversation that can be had with students about that type of thinking.

Margaret and the Moon: The Computer Scientist Who Saved the First Lunar Landing
Margaret and the Moon: How Margaret Hamilton Saved the First Lunar Landing 
written by Dean Robbins
illustrated by Lucy Knisley
What a perfect book to read to follow up Grace Hopper!  I love that more and more information is coming out about these talented ladies and how they helped pioneer math and science careers - more than we knew!
One thing that I found was distracting for me as a reader was the font was all in upper case. I'm not sure what the decision was regarding that, but I wish it had a more traditional layout for young readers.

Maya Lin by Jeanne Walker Harvey
Maya Lin: Artist-Architect of Light and Lines
Designer of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial
written by Jeanne Walker Harvey
illustrated by Dow Phumiruk
I think this book was even more interesting to me having had visited the Wall.  But with the number of trips schools take to D.C. and learning about American History, this book will have its place in a lot of classrooms.
Wonderful piece about the creator of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall.  I really liked learning more about the creation and architecture of the Memorial.

I love that these picture book biographies that feature women all have science and math involved.  Go girls!



3 comments:

  1. Still have to read Grace Hopper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Margaret and the Moon yet, I'm really looking forward to that one!! I'm doing a nonfiction kids book club this fall, and I'm really looking forward to introducing them to some great biographies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Maya Lin book so much, especially its focus on the controversy over her design because she was young. I'm excited to read the other two as well.

    ReplyDelete