Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday 12.31.14

NF PB 2014

We know that a big part of the CCSS is to include more informational texts into ourstudents' reading.  I quickly discovered I had a "gap" in my reading diet - the genre of informational texts!  To help me fill the gap this year, I am going to participate in Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesdays!  This is a great link-up hosted by Kid Lit Frenzy.  Please visit this website to see other educator's link-ups.  My goal is to read at least one informational text each week and post information on the blog.  The more books and subjects I read, the more I can encourage (my #OLW for 2014) other teachers to use in their classroom! 



Nonfiction Picture Books

I read a lot of books.  This year I read more than a lot of books.  I think this was an amazing year for kid lit.  The writing was amazing.  
Looking back, here are some favorites:

Feathers: Not Just for Flying
Feathers Not Just for Flying by Melissa Stewart
I love the organization of this book.
Great for animal adaptation unit!

Barbed Wire Baseball
Barbed Wire Baseball by Marissa Moss
Great book for kids to help them become
aware of this period of US history.

A Boy and a Jaguar
A Boy and A Jaguar by Alan Rabinowitz
LOVED this book.  Heartstrings biography.

The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus
The Right Word by Jen Bryant
Bryant and Sweet team up again.
Illustrations are amazing and I love how they add to the text.

Tiny Creatures: The World of Microbes
Tiny Creatures by Nicola Davies
Another book that is organized so well.
I love how Davies explains a complex subject for young readers.

Creature Features: Twenty-Five Animals Explain Why They Look the Way They Do
Creature Features by Steve Jenkins & Robin Page
I love how this book takes the form of Q&A letters from the animals.

Fall Leaves
Fall Leaves by Loretta Holland
Still not sure if this is categorized as fiction/non-fiction, but
I loved the poetry and fall information.  
Beautiful illustrations!

Neighborhood Sharks: Hunting with the Great Whites of California's Farallon Islands
Neighborhood Sharks by Katherine Roy
I think this was one of my favorite NFPB this year because
of the use of watercolors in the illustrations.
It handled the subject of sharks well for young readers - 
pages with lots of info, pages with shorter text.

Mr. Ferris and His Wheel
Mr. Ferris and His Wheel by Kathryn Gibbs Davis
This is another favorite.  Great illustrations to go along
with engaging text.  Perfect nonfiction.

Ivan: The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla
Ivan The Remarkable True Story of the Shopping Mall Gorilla by Katherine Applegate
This is my favorite.
Heartprint.
It took me a few reads, but I think Applegate captured 
the feeling we all hold dear to our hearts when we think about Ivan.

There were so many amazing nonfiction books written this year.  I'm excited to see kids want to read nonfiction because of the writing, because of the illustrations, because of the learning.
Look HERE for my favorite 2014 Picture Books.
Look HERE for my favorite 2014 Chapter Books and Graphic Novels.

Happy reading and may 2015 be blessed with more books!


3 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled to see A Boy and a Jaguar on so many lists. Loved that book. We share many favourites! Thankfully I wrote my post last week so was able to publish today and share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were so many terrific nonfiction PBs this year, weren't there? Definitely some of my favorite reading! I cannot wait to share all of these titles with my Children's Lit class next semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog! Looks like we have some of the same favorites (Neighborhood Sharks & Tiny Creatures!) & I'm inspired to check out a few more you have on here..... especially Barbed Wire Baseball... thanks!
    Megan @ www.lessonbungalow.com

    ReplyDelete