Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday 1.07.15

#nfpb2015

I am excited to join Alyson Beecher and other friends in this weekly challenge.  Finding great nonfiction picture books isn't a challenge anymore, there are so many wonderful books to be read now!  The challenge is sharing them with as many people as possible so they can find this wealth of literature to share with our young readers.  Thanks to Aly for starting this weekly link-up and thanks to all who join in!


Last week, Aly shared the details for participating in the NFPB Challenge.  It made me reflect on last year's reading, and where I want to head in 2015.

I don't know how many nonfiction books I read last year.  According to my Goodreads shelves, I read 72 non-fiction books and 66 narrative informational text.  I don't think I made those shelves until 2014 so they should be somewhat accurate.  I don't have specific shelves for nonfiction for 2015 so I won't know how many I read unless I count them.  I'm ok with that.  I know I'm reading non-fiction and that's what is important.

Thinking about what I want to do for 2015, I'd really like to find additional resources for our teachers to use in their classroom.  I'll be thinking of their science and social studies units and trying to find literature they can use.

As I see what other people are reading, I'll continue to read other nonfiction literature because you never know when you can use a great book, sometimes it's for a unit, sometimes it's to share the great writing, sometimes it's for mechanics.  I love being able to share the books I read!

So now, I'm going to share a few great NFPB I read over the Winter Break!


Hello, I'm Johnny Cash
Hello, I'm Johnny Cash by G. Neri
I liked that the author didn't skip over some of Cash's 
lifestyle choices, but also didn't make that the focus.
Great PB biography of the man who helped shape music history.


Thank You, Sarah: The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving
Thank You, Sarah - The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving by Laurie Halse Anderson
I love that this book helps us understand the history of the
celebration of Thanksgiving.


Star Stuff: Carl Sagan and the Mysteries of the Cosmos
Star Stuff Carl Sagan and the Mysteries of the Cosmos by Stephanie Roth Sisson
Another great biography - might be fun to use
to introduce Passion Projects.


Thanks for stopping by!  I'm looking forward to learning about more non-fiction literature with you!

Want more non-fiction facts?  How about these:

Stop by my other blog post today, sharing Jess Keating's next book How to Outswim a Shark Without a Snorkel.  The main character, Ana, stops by to answer my questions!

Happy Reading!



5 comments:

  1. I too am not necessarily setting a numerical goal for the year, but will keep nonfiction on my radar because of this challenge and that's a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Michele - I like the PBBs on legendary rockstars - will try to find these titles soonest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved being opened to many more n-f books than I normally would have discovered. Thanks to Alyson & all who link up, we all discover so many. Thanks for sharing these, Michele. I'll look for the Sagan book for sure. I love all that he's written in the past, inspired so many to look up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michelle - Great book picks and love the feature on Jess Keating's book. I started shelves for the challenge to keep me organized on what I read and it is really helpful when referring teachers to a list of books. However, at this point I know I will read so I don't worry about the number but more about gaps I may have and rounding out what I read. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree - it is no longer a problem to discover great nonfiction now that we all participate in this challenge together!

    ReplyDelete