Monday, October 19, 2015

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 10.19.15

IMWAYR 2015 logo

This weekly post comes from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.  It's a great source to find new books to use with your students.


Last Week's Adventures

Have you read these graphic novels yet?  They were new to me this summer!

Be sure to find this wonderful nfpb that goes along with many NGSStandards.

Picture Books

Who Done It?
Who Done It? by Olivier Tallec
4/5 stars
Each page asks the reader a question to make them look closely at the illustrations, which are quite humorous!  I am looking forward to using this book with my ELL students - the vocabulary and the illustrations that help match it will be an interesting conversation to be had!

The Whisper
The Whisper by Pamela Zagarenski
4/5 stars
I loved the illustrations just a bit more than the story.
A sweet story about a little girl who comes across a treasured book at school.  The teacher lets her bring it home, but unbeknownst to the girl, all the words fall out of the book on the way home, but a tricky fox is there to catch them.  When the girl looks through the book, she's disappointed that the words are gone.  However, she hears a whisper that reminds her she is able to imagine her own stories.
This would be a good book to pair with Inside My Imagination by Marta Arteaga.
I think this book will appear on many Mock Caldecott lists.

Nerdy Birdy
Nerdy Birdy by Aaron Reynolds
4/5 stars
I think this would be a really fun book to have the author read aloud!  Aaron Reynolds is so fun in person, I can only imagine the life he would bring to this book!
I love the theme and what is important in friendship.  I also love that Nerdy Birdy figures things out for himself.

How to Catch Santa
How to Catch Santa by Jean Reagan
4/5 stars
I'm always on the lookout for a good Christmas book.  This one is cute - offering some great tips on how to catch the Big Guy.

Currently Reading

The Key to Extraordinary
The Key to Extraordinary by Natalie Lloyd
I should finish this book tonight (Sunday).  It's as magical as Snicker.  I'll feature a post about this book but it will go up in January since this book is published in February 2016.

On Deck

Last in a Long Line of Rebels by Lisa Lewis Tyre

I have so many books checked out from the library and I have so many books that I need to finish from my #mustreadin2015 list.  Yikes.  And I've been having trouble fitting reading in.  Hmmmm, I wonder if I can give up sleep?

9 comments:

  1. Ooh! The new Natalie Lloyd! I didn't love Snicker as much as many others did, but I admired it greatly and am really looking forward to her new one. So many PBs I NEED in this post. The cover of The Whisper is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting to see the new Natalie Lloyd, Michele. On my list! I will need to find The Whisper. Holds at the library are very long! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading great stuff about some of these books. I'm looking forward to reading Nerdy Birdy and The Whisper and The Key to Extraordinary. I too have lots of books to read on my mustreadin2015 list.. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved A Snicker of Magic, so I'm really looking forward to reading The Key to Extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There have actually been quite a few cases where I've enjoyed the illustrations in a picture book more than the text - I often think illustrators should get as much, if not more, credit than the authors of picture books! So many books....thankfully the never-ending rain of a Pacific Northwest fall have set in, so I have plenty of time to get caught up on my reading pile - thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We haven't heard of Nerdy Birdy - Can't wait to read it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Second blog with Nerdy Bird love, so I look forward to reading it.
    I NEED to get the new Lloyd book as soon as it is available!

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Key to Extraordinary looks great. And I loved Snicker of Magic - so I really am very excited about this. :)

    ReplyDelete