Little Elliot Big Family
By Mike Curato
Published by Henry Holt and Company
an imprint of Macmillan Children's Publishing
I was so thrilled to hear that more stories about Little Elliot would be coming our way. Little Elliot Big City absolutely blowed me away - the way the story touched my heart. Little Elliot and his friend Mouse are the perfect pair and show what friendship is about. Besides the most beautiful story, the book can be looked at again and again because the writing is so beautiful - share how Mike Curato wrote the perfect story in such a small amount of text. And then go back and pour over the illustrations again and again. Perfection.
And now we get to do it again.
It's time to visit with Little Elliot and Mouse again. This story goes beyond friendship and introduces us to family. What makes up a family? Well, for Mouse, many siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins make up his family! But Little Elliot, well, he's a bit lonesome. Can an elephant really be part of a mouse's family? With today's diverse population, this book is a perfect book to use to show how every family really is unique.
Have you see the trailer yet? It's a must see!
How about Books of Wonder newest window display?
Installed the #LittleElliot, Big Family window display at @BooksofWonder today. pic.twitter.com/wlrSRJiqXd— Mike Curato (@MikeCurato) September 26, 2015
I can't wait to use this book with students, how about you? First, I just want to read it and share with them. Since all of the students in our school read Little Elliot Big City as part of both our Mock Geisel and Mock Caldecott unit, I know they will be excited to see Little Elliot's return! I want to spend time with the kids looking at each illustration and pointing out the beauty of each picture.
We also found out this week that the Polka-Dot Express will be visiting out school. We'll be sharing Elliot's adventures on Twitter!
As you return to the book, ways you can use this as a mentor text:
Reading Mentor Text
- Please use this book for theme! Talk about families - what do family members do for each other? What makes up a family? How does Elliot find his family? What does being part of a family mean?
- Little Elliot is such a wonderful character. The reader rides the tide of his emotions in both books. How does Elliot react to the story's events in this story? How does he grow as a character?
Writing Mentor Text
- Mike Curato is brilliant at conveying so much story in so little words. Look at the lines of the story closely - what did he do to share the theme of family?
- Look at the verbs Curato uses on pg 7-14, how does that go back to the theme?
- We know that Elliot is lonely throughout the middle of the book. How do we know, since Curato never states it about his character? What did Curato do to create the mood?
- I always enjoy looking at the end pages and love when an author/illustrator adds pieces of the story in them. What do you think the end pages add to this story?
I think this book pairs so well with Katherine Applegate's The One and Only Ivan.
I can't wait for you to enjoy Little Elliot Big Family. I know you will want to share it with students right away. Be sure to look for it this Tuesday - October 6 - at your local bookshop or library!
Can't get enough of Elliot? Good news! We can expect more from this delightful elephant in 2016 and 2017!
Time to go reread the story... again!