Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday 3.19.14

NF PB 2014

We know that a big part of the CCSS is to include more informational texts into our students' reading.  I quickly discovered I had a "gap" in my reading diet - the genre of informational texts!  To help me fill the gap this year, I am going to participate in Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesdays!  This is a great link-up hosted by Kid Lit Frenzy.  Please visit this website to see other educator's link-ups.  My goal is to read at least one informational text each week and post information on the blog.  The more books and subjects I read, the more I can encourage (my #OLW for 2014) other teachers to use in their classroom! 


I'm thinking positively... thinking spring!
And I'm stretching the nonfiction just a bit... the first book is nonfiction.  I'm suggesting taking the information learned in this book - write new learning down (maybe even putting the learning into groups) and then use that learning while reading the fiction books.  Even when reading fiction, all of these have information that go along with the informational text and can add to the students' learning.

Need some connections with NGSS?  Try these:
1st grade - Structure, Function and Information (how plants use external parts to help them grow, patterns that help plants survive, how plants are like their parents)
Kg - Interdependent Relationships in Ecosystems (what plants need to survive, how plants change their environment to fit needs, plants needs and where they live)

Informational Text:

Weeds Find a Way
Weeds Find a Way by Cindy Jenson-Elliott
Use as the informational text - collect new learning and enjoy the beautiful language of the book and illustrations!

Fiction tie-ins:

Rooting for You
Rooting for You by Susan Hood
Great information about how a seed grows.  Students will love the illustrations and pages that open out and down!

If You Hold a Seed
If You Hold a Seed by Elly Mackay
Follows a seed as it grows from young sprout to a tree.

The Dandelion's Tale
The Dandelion's Tale by Kevin Sheehan
Lifecycle of a dandelion told in a sweet story.

4 comments:

  1. I just read If You Hold a Seed. So gorgeous. I really want to find the Rooting for You book. Saw it at the bookstore yesterday but we were in a hurry and I didn't have time to explore it. Great titles here for plants and seeds. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flaps that open in that book make it really fun. I think your class would like it!

      Delete
  2. Nice group of books to share on the eve of the beginning of spring! Thanks Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if I read enough about spring, it will come.... :)

      Delete