Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday 5.21.14

NF PB 2014

We know that a big part of the CCSS is to include more informational texts into our students' reading.  I quickly discovered I had a "gap" in my reading diet - the genre of informational texts!  To help me fill the gap this year, I am going to participate in Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesdays!  This is a great link-up hosted by Kid Lit Frenzy.  Please visit this website to see other educator's link-ups.  My goal is to read at least one informational text each week and post information on the blog.  The more books and subjects I read, the more I can encourage (my #OLW for 2014) other teachers to use in their classroom! 


I began blogging in January and started participating in #nfpb2014 from the beginning of my blog.  My goal was to read more nonfiction this year because of Illinois' adaptations of the common core.  With the adaptation of the Next Generation Science Standards, being well versed in picture books has become a necessity.  Here are some books I've read over the past 5 months that will be great to use with our new science standards.  I'm looking forward to finding many more!

Animal Adaptations:

Galapagos George
Galapagos George by Jean Craighead George
Very interesting book on the adaptations of different turtle species in order to survive their surroundings.

Feathers: Not Just for Flying
Feathers Not Just for Flying by Melissa Stewart
Love this book to see the value of the different feathers for different bird species.

The Animal Book: A Collection of the Fastest, Fiercest, Toughest, Cleverest, Shyest--and Most Surprising--Animals on Earth
The Animal Book by Steve Jenkins
Love this book!  Students will pour over it and you'll be amazed at the quality of conversation!

Eye to Eye: How Animals See The World
Eye to Eye - How Animals See the World by Steve Jenkins


Over and Under the Snow
Over and Under the Snow by Kate Messner
How animals survive the winter climate!

Under the Snow
Under the Snow by Melissa Stewart

Aviary Wonders Inc. Spring Catalog and Instruction Manual
Aviary Wonders, Inc by Kate Samworth
Not an informational text, but just an awesome book to use when talking about adaptations.  I would love to use this book and have students design a bird for a particular climate, location, etc.

Space Systems:

Secrets of the Seasons: Orbiting the Sun in Our Backyard
The Secrets of the Seasons by Kathleen Weidner Zoehfeld
Perfect to discuss changes in daylight depending on the season.


Light and Sound:

Light Is All Around Us
Light is All Around Us by Wendy Pfeffer


Plants:

Although these books are fiction, I think they still have a place in your science units.  Not to teach, but to enhance.  Especially for young learners!

The Dandelion's Tale
The Dandelion's Tale by Kevin Sheehan

If You Hold a Seed
If You Hold a Seed by Elly MacKay

Rooting for You
Rooting for You by Susan Hood

Weeds Find a Way: with audio recording
Weeds Find a Way by Cindy Jenson-Elliott
Great informational text that tells its facts through verse.

Have you found any books to use with the new science standards?







2 comments:

  1. I have a few of these, love Over and Under The Snow and Weeds Find A Way, Michele. There are many great NF books coming out, and you've shared some beautiful ones. Steve Jenkins contributes so much for students' learning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read and loved nearly every one of these books. Thanks for sharing the titles that you have been reading. Hope you have fun filling in you gap.

    ReplyDelete