Tuesday, August 19, 2014

SoLSC I really had nothing to do with this reading challenge 8.19.14


 

Slice of Life is a weekly event hosted by Two Writing Teachers.

"First day of school!  First day of school!"  I can't help but think of Nemo at the beginning of every year.  Nemo was so excited to go "get some knowledge".  I think I feel more like Marlin... "We go out.  Then back in.  Then back out.  Then back in."  I ease into it a bit more.  
At the end of last year, our principal challenged us to read over the summer and return to school with our reading lists.  I don't know where she got the idea from (No, really, it wasn't my idea.  Maybe I sparked something in a conversation, but it really wasn't my idea!) but the goal is to get everyone thinking about how they live a readerly life.  We need to be passionate about reading and make our reading visible to help kids understand that reading, well, it's what we do.
I didn't quite know what to expect.  I've seen little glimmers over the summer.  I can see what my reading teacher colleague and one of our ELL teachers have been reading over the summer since I follow them on goodreads.  But walking into school this past week, just for a few hours, was awesome.  I had many teachers come up to me to tell me some of the books they read this summer (see, they still think this challenge came from me.  I promise you, it really didn't!).  Some had read adult reads.  Others had read to their little ones.  Some read books past their grade levels and some had read books that they were ready to use for read alouds this year.  We had conversations about authors we want to Skype with this year.  Several teachers showed me how they are making reading visible in their classrooms this year.
I didn't come up with this challenge.  But I love the conversations that have popped up because of it.  I think it's going to be a good year.
"First day of school!  First day of school!"
Thanks, Nemo.

5 comments:

  1. Your idea or not, you are clearly valued in your school as a reader and an expert in reading! Embrace that!! What a gift! I love this challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take the credit if I were you! What a great idea. I read only middle grade novels this year and had an awesome time sharing them all with my students. They couldn't wait to check them out to read for themselves. Enthusiasm breeds enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be the reader "guru" at school anyway, Michele, for so many to come to you to share their reading. It's a good reputation to have! Great that your principal gave the challenge! Have a good rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must have this "reading aura" that surrounds you and sends these messages that others then interpret as your ideas! Keep the conversation going about books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking these thoughts, too, can't wait!

    ReplyDelete