Friday, April 29, 2016

Spotlight Friday 4.29.16 Interactive Books


Time to get ready for the weekend!
Kick up your feet and find a good place to read.
Sharing #booklove for your classroom or library.
Spotlighting a book or two because these books deserve the spotlight!

I work with striving readers.  I work with struggling readers.  I work with students who aren't interested in picking up a book.  I work with students who may not read a book all summer long.  I work with students who are young and I know I can help change their opinion of books and reading.

I know we're at the end of the year.  But maybe end your year with this.  Or maybe think about starting your year with this.  This is how I start my year with my youngest students.  I want them starting the year with laughter.  I want their eyes to light up with enjoyment.  I want them begging to take that book home.  I want the book to be accessible to them - so hearing the book once, maybe twice, is enough for them to read/remember many of the words at home.

So I start with interactive books.  Books that make the reader do something with the book.  

I first pull out my collection of Herve' Tullet books.  Have you read one?  Each page has you doing an action that changes the layout of the following page.  The wonderment in their eyes never gets old.  Those young enough believe their action changed the page.  Those old enough want to believe in the magic and so they believe.  Every child wants to touch the page.  Every child wants their turn to press, mix, and follow the line.  And then they want to bring the book home and try {read} it again.


Press Here     Mix It Up!     Let's Play!

And once those students need something fresh, pull out Christie Matheson's books.  They essentially do the same thing but center around a more concrete theme.


Tap the Magic Tree          Touch the Brightest Star

Try these with your readers.  I promise the excitement will be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment