Monday, February 11, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 2.11.19

This weekly post comes from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts
 and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.  
It's a great source to find new books to use with your students.



Last Week's Adventures

Ellie May is a character you want to meet - a little bit Beatrice Zinker, a little bit Junie B. Jones - be sure to stop by and read this post.  Author Hillary Homzie stops by!


Short post this week - I spent the majority of the week finishing books to get ready for the weekend's IL Bluestem Award committee meeting.  Our 2019-2020 list is complete - can't wait to share with you the books that our IL 3d-5th graders will be reading this year!  And now, it's time to resume regular choice reading!


Picture Books

Penguin Flies Home
Penguin Flies Home
by Lita Judge
Not as fun as Flight School, but we do get to see what our flying friend Penguin is up to in this companion story.  I think this is a great one to discuss central message.

Max Explains Everything: Soccer Expert
Max Explains Everything: Soccer Expert
written by Stacy McAnulty
illustrated by Deborah Hocking
Max's explanations are usually spot on and kid-perfect!  This time Max explains to us all of the ins and outs of playing soccer.  The humor is in the illustrations as we see Max doing everything BUT play soccer!

Babysitter from Another Planet
The Babysitter From Another Planet
by Stephen Savage
Think of Mary Poppins as a babysitter - that's a little bit what the Alien babysitter is like!  Nothing like having a babysitter who can warm up food with the blink of a (laser) eye!  Nightlight out?  No problem, the babysitter can glow in the dark!  Fun read for young readers - Stephen Savage knows his audience!

Middle Grade

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)
Gregor the Overlander
by Suzanne Collins
Oh, this has been on my list for a very long time now, just keep passing it by on the way to other books!  Glad I finally had the chance to read it.  Not quite Hunger Games, but perfect for readers who are itching to get there.  After finishing book one, I definitely wanted to start book two!

Currently Reading

Game of Stars (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #2)
Game of Stars
by Sayantani DasGupta
I loved the first Kiranmala book and I'm looking forward to reading this one!

Happy reading this week!

9 comments:

  1. The Babysitter From Another Planet sounds fun! The first Kiranmala book was great. Kiranamala is a great character and I loved the humor. I'm looking forward to the second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm waiting for the new Penguin Flies Home from my library, and thanks for the new Suzanne Collins book. I didn't know about it! Enjoy your meeting, exciting to see that list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I have had the first two books of the Underland Chronicles Series for years (I guess since I read Hunger Games) and I'm so glad you mentioned this one so that I can bump it up in my pile. I think my 8 and 10 year old might really enjoy this series, based on what I've heard of it so far. Have a great week, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like everyone else, I definitely need to add Babysitter from Another Plant to my TBR list. I loved Flight School and just shared Penguin Flies Home with my #classroombookaday students. Have a great week Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started the first Kiranmala book. I'm excited to keep reading. I tried Gregor years ago and didn't find it very compelling, but that was before I read much children's lit (hard to believe there was ever a time I didn't read much children's lit!) and I imagine my reading experience would be so different now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I though Penguin Flies Home was a sweet book with a good message about following your dreams. I'm waiting to get The Babysitter From Another Planet from the library; it looks like a cute story! Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Lita Judge's art, and am looking forward to savoring it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the entire Gregor Overlander series just waiting to be read in my shelves. Hopefully, soon! :) Have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoyed the whole Gregor the Overlander Series. I need to read DasGupta's series too.

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete