Monday, February 18, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 2.18.19

This weekly post comes from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts
 and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.  
It's a great source to find new books to use with your students.


Last Week's Adventures

A book you'll want for your writing mentor text collection - don't miss What If...? Then We...


Picture Books

The Very Impatient Caterpillar
The Very Impatient Caterpillar
by Ross Burach
A hilarious look at one caterpillar who is trying to go through metamorphosis.  However, he's not the most patient of caterpillars, especially when being in a chrysalis requires you to be quiet and calm for two weeks!  Definitely a silly read aloud.
Look for it next week - Feb. 26th!

The Croaky Pokey!
The Croaky Pokey!
by Ethan Long
This is definitely one you want in your prek/Kg library!  A story that can be memorized since it's probably a favorite song, it's one that young readers will be able to practice following along with the print and reading.  The humor in it will keep readers coming back for more!

Red Sky at Night
Red Sky at Night
by Elly MacKay
This is a must have if you do any kind of weather unit.  Each page features a weather saying that you may or may not have heard of before.  However, within the illustrations is another story of two children and their father? grandfather? who are going out on a fishing excursion.  What happens to them matches the weather that is referred to in the saying.  I absolutely love Elly MacKay's illustrations - her paper and ink illustrations that are made into miniature scenes are a delight to look at.  Really enjoyed the inclusion of the factual information for each weather saying in the back matter.

The North Star
The North Star
by Peter H. Reynolds
This is a book I had not read by Reynolds and it was recommended to me to use with theme.  I can see why - it absolutely resonated with me as an adult.  Thinking about the journey we are on and thinking about what is important and slowing life down.  I'm wondering what age of readers really understand the idea this book explores.  I'm looking forward to using it with elementary age readers soon.

Lubna and Pebble
Lubna and Pebble
written by Wendy Meddour
illustrated by Daniel Egnéus
I really did not know what to expect with this one... but let me tell you after reading it I just want to put my arms around it and hug it.  It's such a beautiful story.  It's an immigration and refugee story but at its heart it's about friendship and empathy.  So many beautiful conversations should happen after reading this story.
Publishes March 5th.

Graphic Novels

Narwhal's Otter Friend (A Narwhal and Jelly Book #4)
Narwhal's Otter Friend
by Ben Clanton
The fourth book in the series does not disappoint.  I only wish they were being published even faster - readers can't get enough of this series!

Middle Grade

Missing Mike
Missing Mike
by Shari Green
I had read her award winning Macy McMillan a couple of weeks ago and fell in love with Green's words.  Knew this would be one I wanted to get to very soon!  
Another novel in verse and a hard one to stop reading - you'll want to see Mike the dog and his owner, Cara be reunited after forest fires require their family to evacuate their home.

Game of Stars (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond #2)
Game of Stars
by Sayantani DasGupta
I so hope you read the first adventure with Kiranmala and her adventure to the Kingdom Beyond.  Full of humor and Bengali mythology and folklore, this series needs to be in every library.
Kiranmala is back in the Kingdom Beyond - this time as a participant in a game show where the stakes are high (just saving the lives of her friends, no big deal, right?).  
I am so glad we are getting stories that originate in many different cultures to share with readers.  The first book in this series has been a huge hit with readers and I can't wait to share book 2 with them.  It publishes Feb. 26th but is available through Scholastic Book Club now!

Currently Reading

Operation Frog Effect
Operation Frog Effect
by Sarah Scheerger
I am about halfway through this one and definitely see the kid appeal in this one - just add it to your preorder list (Feb. 26th) now!

Happy reading this week!

11 comments:

  1. I just got Lubna and Pebble from Penguin but haven't read it yet but after reading your thoughts, I'm going to read it right after I post this comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first I recall hearing of Lubna and Pebble, so I'm definitely adding this one to my list. Missing Mike sounds so sweet -- I'm just loving all these novels in verse, lately! And I'm looking forward to Game of Stars, but I still need to finish The Serpent's Secret. LOL It's on my #MustReadin2019 so I'll be starting it soon. As always, thanks for all the shares, Michele!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Red Sky at Night, one I thought every classroom should have. And I shared Rebecca's What If. . .Then, we. . . today, a wonderful book for writing mentoring. Thanks for sharing that Peter Reynolds, sounds nice. I have many of his books & each one makes me smile. Thanks, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have my library requests in for The Very Impatient Caterpillar and Lubna and Pebble. Can't wait to read them. Thanks for sharing these great books. Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read Lubna and Pebble, but I couldn’t get it into my post this week. It’s heart-breaking and beautiful. The illustrations are amazing, too. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness - my class is going to go crazy for this next title in the Narwhal series. Agreed, can't be published quickly enough!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed Otter as an addition to the Narwhal series. I am looking forward The Very Impatient Caterpillar and thinking that Red Sky at Night would be a great addition as well. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've added Missing Mike to my hold list at the library. I still haven't gotten to this one in the Narwhal series.
    The Very Impatient Caterpillar sounds a lot like me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of Lubna and Pebble--thanks for the rec, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't seen Lubna and the Pebble before, it looks and sounds just lovely, I'm going to see if my library has a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited for Game of Stars. I loved the first book. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete