Monday, February 25, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? 2.25.19

This weekly post comes from Jen at Teach Mentor Texts
 and Kellee and Ricki at Unleashing Readers.  
It's a great source to find new books to use with your students.


Sunday was a picture book binge day!  So many great ones to share with you.  Since there are so many I'm going to try to stick to a one sentence summary/why you want to read it!  Get your library holds tab open - you may want to add some of these!

Last Week's Adventures

Did you get a chance to look at the cover for Josh Funk's upcoming How to Code a Rollercoaster?  Make sure you stop by this post for a peek and to learn more about the book from Josh!

I also have stacks of new nonfiction picture books to share with you!  Here's the first installation - books about cooking!


Picture Books

Looking Closely Around the Pond       Looking Closely Inside the Garden
Looking Closely Around the Pond and Looking Closely Inside the Garden
by Frank Serafini
When I was at the Wisconsin State Reading Association Conference, author Amy Stewart shared this series as a way to introduce close reading - slow down and notice the details!

Remarkably You
Remarkably You
written by Pat Zietlow Miller
illustrated by Patrice Barton
A book that should be shared with every student regardless of their age!  Celebrate what makes you, you!

It's Not Hansel and Gretel (It's Not a Fairy Tale, #2)
It's Not Hansel and Gretel
written by Josh Funk
illustrated by Edwardian Taylor
A (very humorous) spin on the "Hansel and Gretel" fairy tale that you will have you laughing out loud.  Definitely a book to read using multiple voices (for some reason, in my head, the witch kind of sounds like Dr. Doofenshmirtz from Phineas and Ferb....)

Don't Touch My Hair!
Don't Touch My Hair!
by Sharee Miller
I've seen it happen before - kids getting into another person's space and you notice the discomfort.  While this book concentrates on not touching hair, it's a great book to start talking about boundaries and how it's ok to say no.

My Heart
My Heart
by Corinna Luyken
Corinna Luyken is on my buy without thinking about it list.  Everything she does is golden.  This book is perfect for theme - what does the author want me to know?  And for figurative language.  And for SEL learning.  I could go on but I promised short reviews.  Just go buy it.

Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
Tiny R. Rex and the Impossible Hug
written by Jonathan Stutzman
illustrated by Jay Fleck
T. Rex wants to give his friend a hug but he feels like his short arms are holding him back.  Cute and funny read.

How Do You Do?
How Do You Do?
written by Larissa Theule
illustrated by Gianna Marino
A fantastic book to use to talk about perspective and how choosing the way you view things can have a positive effect.

Middle Grade

Operation Frog Effect
Operation Frog Effect
by Sarah Scheerger
Put this book in the hands of kids who enjoy realistic fiction, books written in multiple voices and anyone who loves Because of Mr. Terupt.  
I really enjoyed this one.  We go into Ms. Graham's class where, as a new teacher, she has some new things she'll be trying.  The first is having students write in a journal that is just a place for them to put thoughts down, not something she'll be grading.  The reader gets to peek into the journals and that is the start of the story.  The journal entries, written in a variety of formats including one that has graphic novel panels and another that is free verse poetry, continue to move the story along.
Full of things middle grade readers will relate to - including friendship problems - and issues that may or may not be something they are familiar with - including being homeless and learning about social justice issues.
I think hearing from the different voices and in a variety of formats will appeal to a lot of readers.  The kids in this fifth grade class will find a lot of new friends with its readers!


Ashes (Seeds of America, #3)
Ashes 
by Laurie Halse Anderson
The first book on my #mustreadin2019 list is completed!  I absolutely loved The Seeds of America series and I'm glad I finished this trilogy this year.  Having completed Forge in late December, I was glad to continue Isabel's story.  While I'm sad to leave her and Curzon, it was a joy to meet them.  Fantastic historical fiction for grades 5th and up.

Currently Reading

Arlo Finch in the Lake of the Moon (Arlo Finch #2)
Arlo Finch in the Lake of the Moon
by John August
I loved the first book in the series and I'm excited to jump into this one!


Happy reading this week :)



9 comments:

  1. So many great books! I have not read the Laurie Halse Anderson trilogy, but I imagine it's amazing. I'm reading her newest book, Shout, right now and the writing is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a picture book binge day! How fun! I am also reading Shout right now. Operation Frog Effect looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very happy to see you enjoyed It's Not Hansel and Gretel -- Josh Funk has a really wonderful thing going, here. I really thought I had Remarkably You on my list, but I just added it right now. So glad you brought it to my attention, again! Have a wonderful reading week, Michele!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many to love and to find, Michele. I enjoyed It's Not Hansel & Gretel very much and also My Heart, the sweetest book! Thanks for the others. Remarkably You sounds like one I'd love for my granddaughters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes, when my pile of picture books grows and grows, the only way to deal with it is to binge read. I'm happy that my local library has the Looking Closely series on the shelves so I can have a look at them. I'm also happy that the system has My Heart on the order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list this week. Don't Touch My Hair has been on my TBR list for a while. I really need to remember to order it from the library. Looks like an important book. Thanks for sharing and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am eager to read Remarkably You and the Luyken book - some awesome book creators there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had the pleasure of reading a few of the picture books you highlighted. I loved Remarkably You, My Heart and laughed out loud reading It's Not Hansel and Gretel. Tiny T Rex is one I keep hearign about. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. not sure if my comment went through earlier.. but love the cover of My Heart.. and picture books are my go-to for when I need a welcome change from regular reads

    ReplyDelete