Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Nonfiction Picture Book Wednesday - longer nonfiction for your Mock Sibert 12.14.16


Every Wednesday I join Alyson Beecher from kidlitfrenzy and other
kidlit bloggers to share wonderful nonfiction picture books.
The intention of today's blog is to give educational professionals
new nonfiction reading material and ideas to use 
with students to promote a love of reading nonfiction materials.

Last week Alyson Beecher of kidlitfrenzy.com and I posted our Mock Sibert picture book suggestions.  This week we're spotlighting some longer Sibert suggestions.



Reminder, here's the Sibert criteria and what the committee will be considering.

  • Excellent, engaging, and distinctive use of language.
  • Excellent, engaging, and distinctive visual presentation.
  • Appropriate organization and documentation.
  • Clear, accurate, and stimulating presentation of facts, concepts, and ideas.
  • Appropriate style of presentation for subject and for intended audience.
  • Supportive features (index, table of contents, maps, timelines, etc).
  • Respectful and of interest to children.


Some longer nonfiction books I think that may catch the attention of the Sibert committee:

Some Writer!: The Story of E. B. White
Some Writer! by Melissa Sweet
This shouldn't come to a surprise to anyone, this book has landed on many lists: Mock Caldecott, Mock Newbery and it's already won the 2017 NCTE Orbus Pictus Award.  

Catch my earlier thoughts on this book and how you can use it with students.

Dive! World War II Stories of Sailors & Submarines in the Pacific: The Incredible Story of U.S. Submarines in WWII
Dive!  World War II Stories of Sailors and Submarines in the Pacific by Deborah Hopkinson
The stories in this book captivated me and had me caught up in the narrative of these brave military heroes.  I think this book will appeal to a wide range of readers - I've already passed the book on to my dad!

Here are my earlier thoughts on Dive! and how you might use it with your class.

Presenting Buffalo Bill: The Man Who Invented the Wild West
Presenting Buffalo Bill: The Man Who Invented the Wild West by Candace Fleming
Candace has an amazing way with a longer nonfiction format.  She captivates you with her storytelling and immerses you in the story of these historical figures.

Click here for my previous post and teaching ideas.


Did you check out Melissa Stewart's post last week about the Sibert Smackdown?  I love her ideas for using a Mock Sibert in the classroom.  Melissa also posted a link to Anderson's Bookshop Mock Sibert list.  Here are some of the longer nonfiction on this list you may want to check out.  

America's Tea Parties: Not One But Four! by Marissa Moss

We Will Not Be Silent: The White Rose Student Resistant Movement That Defied Adolf Hitler by Russell Freedman

In the Shadow of Liberty: The Hidden History of Slavery, Four Presidents, and Five Black Lives by Kenneth C. Davis

Uprooted: The Japanese American Experience During World War II by Albert Marrin

You Can Fly: The Tuskegee Airmen by Carole Weatherford


Be sure to see what longer nonfiction Alyson has on her list here.


Would love to hear more about how you're using longer nonfiction with your students!


3 comments:

  1. I had to turn Dive! back into the library, but will try to get to it in the new year, Michele. Thanks for sharing some titles new to me in that list. I've read You Can Fly & enjoyed it. Some Writer! is awesome, a book to savor for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Will Not Be Silent was a quick read and very moving. It was a completely new story to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some Writer is fabulous. I hope it gets some award love. I haven't read a lot of longer non-fiction this year. I did read and enjoy Pride: Celebrating Diversity and Community. I also enjoyed Pink is for Blobfish, but she's Canadian. Does that keep her out of the running? You Can Fly was nice too.

    ReplyDelete