Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Library Reads That Became Book Purchases 3.22.16



I buy books.  A lot of books.  My books are read by me and then my daughter (sometimes in reverse order).  Then most go into my school.  They are read by students.  They are borrowed by my intervention students and sometimes non-intervention students (word gets around).  I use them in my lessons.  Teachers borrow them to use in their lessons.  

But with all the money I spend on books I try to be smart about it.  I try not to pre-order everything I see.  Some things get pre-ordered without much thought.  Books by favorite authors.  Books that get a lot of buzz by people I respect. But sometimes I end up pre-ordering a book that ends up not being something I am going to use.  And with the amount I spend, I need to be careful about this happening. 

I think our public libraries are a wonderful thing.  I use mine.  Every week.  And the one that is in my school district.  Because libraries don't always order the same books.  I can read books and make decisions on if they are books I need to purchase.  Here are some books that I got at the library and then because of how good they are, I bought.  

I Hear a Pickle: and Smell, See, Touch, & Taste It, Too!
I Hear a Pickle by Rachel Isadora
Loved the way the senses are explored and explained.  Getting ready to order my second copy of this book.  Someone else loved it so much it hasn't made it's way back to me.

Peep and Egg: I'm Not Hatching
Peep and Egg: I'm Not Hatching by Laura Gehl
Love Joyce Wan's bold illustrations and it's such a cute story.  Great read aloud!

That's Not Bunny!
That's Not Bunny! by Chris Barton
When a book makes me laugh out loud, I know it's one to share with kids.

Dorothea's Eyes: Dorothea Lange Photographs the Truth
Dorothea's Eyes by Barb Rosenstock
Any story that has a character overcoming a physical challenge has my heart!

Swatch: The Girl Who Loved Color
Swatch: The Girl Who Loved Color by Julia Denos
Loved the illustrations!

When Green Becomes Tomatoes: Poems for All Seasons
When Green Becomes Tomatoes by Julie Fogliano
Poetry can be tricky for me, but these quick poems that are illustrated by Julie Morstad turned out to be a favorite for me.

How do you use your library?

2 comments:

  1. Love knowing which ones you purchased as I just ordered a few of these just based on recommendations!

    ReplyDelete