Friday, March 25, 2016

Spotlight Friday I Hear a Pickle 3.25.16


Time to get ready for the weekend!
Kick up your feet and find a good place to read.
Sharing #booklove for your classroom or library.
Spotlighting a book or two because these books deserve the spotlight!


I hear a book... pages turning.
I see a book... one that I want to read.
I touch a book... and enter a new world.
I taste a book... ok well maybe that's not a good idea.
I smell a book... because I'm a book sniffer and they smell good!

Every time we activate our senses when we learn, we make new pathways in our brain.  The more senses we use, the more we can remember.

Activate your senses as you read this book by Rachel Isadora:

I Hear a Pickle: and Smell, See, Touch, & Taste It, Too!
I Hear a Pickle (and Smell, See, Touch, and Taste It, Too!)
by Rachel Isadora
published by Nancy Paulsen Books


Each sense gets 3 double page layouts where the reader experiences the characters using a sense and a corresponding description.  What I love about this book is the different descriptions.  For example, the sense of hearing is described by sounds, but also not hearing sounds - "I don't hear the worm".  Smells are pleasant - soap, perfume, blankie - and not pleasant - baby's poop, brother's smelly sneakers.  And even not smelling, when you have a cold!  The top right side of the page lists all 5 senses and highlights the sense that the layout is describing.  The end of the book has a character using all 5 senses to describe a pickle.

What a wonderful book to use in a 5 senses unit!  I love the contrasting descriptions and vocabulary used.  Have students pick an object and describe it using their senses!

from I Hear a Pickle (and Smell, See, Touch, and Taste It, Too!

Image result for I hear a pickle           Image result for I hear a pickle

No comments:

Post a Comment