Thursday, July 14, 2016

Graphic Novel Round-Up 7.14.16

It's a graphic novel roundup 
Featuring some new graphic novels



Lowriders to the Center of the Earth (Lowriders in Space, #2)
Lowriders to the Center of the Earth
by Cathy Camper
illustrated by Raul the Third
published by Chronicle
Lowriders in Space is a graphic novel I picked up this spring because while I had heard of it, I really didn't know much about it.  After I read the library copy, I turned around and ordered my own copy because I loved how unique it was!  With the mix of English and Spanish, I knew I had readers who would love it.  It's edgy.  It's different from other graphic novels that are out there.  It's a mix of fantasy and urban fiction.  Just different from anything else I had.

Now the sequel is out!  This time our trio of friends have to travel to the center of the earth and the underworld to combat Mictlantecuhtil, the Aztec god of the Underworld!  I really enjoyed how Camper infused Aztec lore into the story.  Again, this series is different from other graphic novels that are out there and I think that will appeal to readers.  Raul the Third returns to illustrate this next adventure and his pen drawings are unique and capture the flare of this story.

Visit the Chronicle website and search for the Lowriders series.  They have activity and teacher guides to go along with the books.  I really like the first page of the teacher guide - it has a printable about why graphic novels are so great.  These would be wonderful to pass out to parents.

HiLo Book 2: Saving the Whole Wide World
HiLo: Saving the Whole Wide World
by Judd Winick
published by Random House
Love this series!  It's quirky and funny and adventurous!  I laugh out loud at HiLo - he wears his emotions on his sleeve for everyone to see.  But what you notice most about him is his heart of gold and how he cares for his friends.

This second book in the series starts right where the first one leaves off.  HiLo has disappeared but luckily there is just enough of him (and it's funny) left behind to communicate with his friends.  All three are quickly united, but the downtime doesn't last for long and before we know it, there are more evil aliens, robots and monsters that need to be blasted back where they came from.

Just like the first one, this one leaves us with a horrible cliffhanger and we won't find out what happens until February 2017!  I don't know about you, but I already have the third installment preordered.


Nightmare Escape (Dream Jumper, Book 1)
Dream Jumper:  Nightmare Escape
written by Greg Grunberg 
illustrated by Lucas Turnbloom
published by Scholastic
This is one of those books that I got into right when it was ending and now I'm anxiously waiting book 2!  What a cliffhanger.
This book reminded me just a bit of Secret Coders - not in plot or anything, but I felt like book one of that series and this series were meant to do a lot of background and set up what the rest of the series will be about.  
I had a lot of questions at the start of this book, which could either deter readers, get them really confused, or push them on to read more and more.  It jumps right into the action and it's up to the reader to grab on and figure out as they go.  All questions get answered, or you see where it could go, but you have to figure out a bit on your own at first. 
Ultimately, this book is about Ben, who finds out he is a Dream Jumper, someone who can jump into dreams of other people.  But this is a rare talent and he soon discovers that there are people who are after his ability.
I think readers who enjoy the Amulet series will be anxious to get their hands on this one!

Some other graphic novels that are published that are on my radar:

Human Body Theater
Human Body Theater
by Maris Wicks
published by First Second


Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean
Science Comics:  Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean
by Maris Wicks
published by First Second


Science Comics: Dinosaurs: Fossils and Feathers
Science Comics: Dinosaurs: Fossils and Featherswritten by MK Reed
illustrated by Joe Flood
published by First Second


Red's Planet: Book 1: A World Away from Home
Red's Planet
by Eddie Pittman
published by Abrams Books


All of these graphic novels will be great additions to your libraries this fall.

Like these?  Be sure to return in two weeks when I spotlight some new graphic novels that will be published this fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment